(Note: This policy has been updated with reference to the new guideline released by Registration & Examinations Section dated 22 March 2022)
Here is the recommended guideline towards student’s request for extension of assessment deadline and special circumstances consideration during the current COVID outbreak.
Students can be adversely affected by COVID related circumstances, including but not limited to: suffering from symptoms arising from COVID infection, disruption of daily routine due to a positive COVID test result, restriction-testing declaration, compulsory quarantine measures, the loss of a family member, assuming the emergency caregiver role of one’s family due to COVID related circumstances, and other COVID related emergency situations.
If the issue affects you or likely affects your quiz/test/other assessment (except centralized course exam), you can apply for mitigating circumstances, such as extension of assignment deadlines. Please complete the student self-certification form and send it to your instructors of courses offered by the Department of Sociology AND our Department pandemic student support coordinators as follows:
|Undergraduate courses||Ms. Queena Ngfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Research Postgraduate courses||Ms. Lorraine Yuemail@example.com|
|Taught Postgraduate courses||Ms. Tracy Yaufirstname.lastname@example.org|
To facilitate your application, you should provide as much supporting information as possible with your absence request. The form is available here:
Regarding the arrangements of centralized final exams, students should approach the Registration and Examinations Section (RES) for special accommodation. Course instructors should wait for further instruction from the RES. In addition, students should keep the course instructors and the Department updated about their situation through email.
1. If you are applying for extensions and special circumstances consideration due to infection with COVID, you need to provide to your instructor one of the following documents issued by the authority concerned:
I. The government has launched the “Declaration System for individuals tested positive for COVID-19 using Rapid Antigen Test” on 14 March 2022. Students who tested positive using Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) should submit the Declaration online (https://www.chp.gov.hk/ratp/) and may download the Isolation/Quarantine Orders as supporting document to apply for absence.
II. Students who make use of community testing centres or specimen collection stations for polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing may submit the positive test result (e.g. SMS message) as supporting evidence to apply for absence.
III. Students who seek medical advice at Hospital Authority Designated Clinics for COVID-19 Confirmed Cases may provide medical certificate to apply for absence.
2. After submitting the self-certification form with the supporting documents, students should reach an agreement with the course instructors on the remedial arrangements to minimize disruptions to your study.
3. You can complete the self-certification form in either Chinese or English.
4. You are strongly encouraged to submit your request at least a week BEFORE your assignment due date and exam/quiz/test/other assessment. The instructors reserve the rights not to grant a late request if it is deemed as not justified.
5. This policy only applies to courses offered by the Department of Sociology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. All students enrolled to courses offered by the CUHK Department of Sociology are eligible.
6. The effective period for this policy is from February 25th, 2022 until May 14th, 2022. The Department reserves the right to renew or drop this policy with reference to the pandemic situation.
7. Should you have any questions or difficulties, please feel free to discuss with the Department pandemic student support coordinators listed above.