Alumni Email Opt-in (Opt-in to keep your CUHK Student Email before you graduate)
– Audacity (edit/trim your audio files)
– LAME MP3 encoder (to export selected audio as mp3 format)
– Sony Voice Recorders (latest models & prices)
– Transcript (i.e. Voice to Text)
— Otter.ai (web page or Android app)
— Google Doc (Menu choose Tool – Voice Input)
Common Blackboard tasks for Tutors & Teaching Assistants:
- Announcement & Mail to Students (e.g. Typhoon Signal no. 8 / 9 /10, Black Rain, Class Suspension amid COVID-19)
- Tutorial Enrollment with Blackboard Groups
- Creation of Individual Assignment / Group Assignment / Exam, and collection (i.e. “Download All”) of them.
- Download Zoom video, Upload to Panopto & Blackboard
To avoid random CUHK login error (e.g. blank screen after login or Bad Request – Header Field Too Long HTTP Error 400) , you are recommended to always use your Google Chrome browser’s ” Incognito Window” , by clicking Google Chrome’s upper right “…” button and choose “New incognito window”, and always login Zoom with CUHK Official Zoom Login:
Click upper right’s “Join a Meeting”
Fill in the following to join.
Meeting ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
You may also open the following link in Google Chrome browser’s ” Incognito Window”
(Your Zoom Link here xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Important Notes for Students:
1. The above connecting information is used for all online live classes.
2. Circulation of the password beyond registered students of this course is strictly prohibited.
3. Students are required to attend the online classes live according to the class schedule indicated in the course outline.
4. If you have any enquiry, please contact the tutor xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (email: firstname.lastname@example.org ) .
General Online CTE (OCTE) Arrangements during COVID-19 pandemic (with reference to procedures in 2019/20 Term Two)
- As the response rate is very low for online course evaluation, you are recommended to conduct online CTE during their your Zoom online classes. You may use Zoom to share this sample Powerpoint file: (Sample) OCTE Notes to Students
- Due to heavy system loading, OCTE email are recommended to be sent one working day before your Zoom online class.
- Teachers/TAs should send me the date of your Zoom online class you plan to conduct online CTE. I will click OCTE Send Mail for you on working day before your class.
- If the response rate is too low (e.g. number of responses < 7), CTE report cannot be generated. For those courses with very low response rate, I will email you the latest response rate and remind you to take action (e.g. send reminder email to students to check OCTE email/fill in survey form).
Samples for Reference
(Sample) Course form Evaluation before 2019/20 Term One (hard copy CTE survey form to be filled by students during classes, usually with very high response rate.)
* Course Evaluation was not conducted in 2019/20 Term One amid riots in HK and CUHK classes suspension *
Online CTE (OCTE) (Starting 2019/20 Term Two amid COVID-19 pandemic)
– O365 (for any CUHK login error like “Bad Request – Header Field Too Long HTTP Error 400. A request header field is too long“, please try to use Google Chrome Browser – New Incognito Window to try again)
– Duo Security App for Android (if you use CUHK 2FA Security)
– O365’s Mail Forwarding (e.g. to Gmail)
e.g. Lock Computer Ctrl-Alt-Del
e.g. Shut down computers / unplug network cable / unplug USB before holidays
e.g. Uninstall vulnerable Windows modules IMMEDIATELY for new Windows computer, e.g. SMBv1
e.g. Uninstall unused/unnessary/obsolete/insecure software, e.g. Adobe Flash, Sun Java Runtime
e.g. Uninstall unused/unnessary browser plugin
e.g. Do not install CRACKED software. Over 99.9% of them contains computer virus. Use CUHK campus lic software, e.g. Matlab or freeware, e.g. R & R-Studio, Anaconda Python (with built-in Math/Stat/Sci modules)
e.g. Logout all web pages before closing them.
e.g. Use Chrome Browser’s Incognito or Firefox’s Private window when using public computers, e.g. Library
(Do not buy those with 1TB hard disk, buy 256G SSD instead. Make sure to buy the necessary cables, e.g. for those with USB Type C only, i.e. without any USB ports, you need to buy USB Type C Converter. May also need HDMI converter if output to external monitor / projector)
– Excel Chart to Word File (to fulfill different Journal Publishers Chart Formats)
– PaperCut (Charge to Account)
– Wireless Printing
1. Connect to Wifi “CUHK1X” (login id is your cuhk email & cuhk onepass password) for wireless printing. Wifi “Eduroam” is not allowed for wireless printing.
2. For Macbook pls download/mount/run the .dmg file below for mobility printing, which allows choosing printers to add, and saving CUHK computing id & password.
3. For Windows please download & run the .exe file below for mobility printing, which allows choosing printers to add, and saving CUHK computing id & password.
4. The default print settings is “Color” turned on. You may need to change to “Black/White” in printer properties when printing black/white document.
Mac Mobility Print Client:
Windows Mobility Print Client:
Please note that if you Google “cracked” versions of software, most of them (99.99%) contain trojan/virus. To prevent virus infection, please consider:
1. CUHK Site License Software ( https://www.itsc.cuhk.edu.hk/all-it/procurement-support/campus-wide-software/ )
2. Freeware (http://ninite.com)
3. Free 14-Days or 7-Days Evaluation version software (e.g. SPSS, Stata)
4. 6-months / 12-months Education License version (https://onthehub.com/)
Below are download links (some free but some with educational discounted purchase info) for useful software for working at home.
- Anaconda (Python)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (not free, pay 6-months or 12-months license) :
(Please visit https://onthehub.com/ to purchase 6-months Adobe license)
Direct Purchase Link: https://onthehub.com/adobe/
- Camtasia video editor (free for CUHK Staff & Students) download:
(please connect via CUHK VPN before download)
User Guide: https://www.techsmith.com/tutorial-camtasia.html
- Endnote X9 free download (free for CUHK Staff & Students, site license recently covered by CUHK University Library):
- O365 (Microsoft Office 2016) download (free for CUHK Staff & Students, site license covered by CUHK, must login CUHK email and Onepass to activate):
(After login, click “Install O365” at the upper right corner to download Microsoft Office)
- O365 Language Packs (German/Simplified Chinese, …) Download:
- SPSS 14-Days Evaluation Download:
(14-days evaluation begins after you install SPSS)
(To puchase 6-months education software license, price USD$39.95 for two activations at two computers, please visit: https://onthehub.com/)
Direct Purchase Link: https://estore.onthehub.com/WebStore/OfferingsOfMajorVersionList.aspx?pmv=304b1dff-5b5d-e911-8115-000d3af41938&utm_source=product-page-ibmspssstatistics26&utm_medium=onthehub-productpage&utm_campaign=SPSS
- Stata Evaluation Download:
(7-Days evaluation only, only request the download when you begin to do Stata homework as evaluation counts from the date you send request to Stata)
(Please contact Stata HK Dealer: Ray of Columbia HK for purchase of Academic GradPlan version: http://www.columbiacp.com/contactus?menuid=7139&supmenuid=0&menusPath=7139)
Teachers 7-Days Evaluation Request: https://www.stata.com/customer-service/course-short-term-license/
Students 7-Days Evaluation Request: https://www.stata.com/customer-service/short-term-license/
Instructors 7-Days Evaluation Request: https://www.stata.com/customer-service/course-short-term-license/
- Stata GradPlan
– Rufus (for creating bootable USB Windows installation media)
R Statistics (free download):
R Studio (free download):
Other freeware (Audio, Video, Image tools, ….):
– Citation Software (e.g. Write-n-Cite, etc.)
Click your course (for features testing, please use: CUPS-2015-ITSC-PC0117 : Blackboard Learn Training – Practice Course)
Click Groups, Create Group, choose “Self-Enroll”
Fill in the Group name prefix, e.g. Tutorial (depending on number of groups you fill later, suffix of sequence number will be auto-generated by the system, i.e. Groups created will be: Tutorial 01, Tutorial 02, …)
Fill in Name of Sign-up Sheet, e.g. Tutorial Sign-up
Fill in Sign-up Sheet Instructions
Fill in Number of Groups, e.g. you have three tutorial groups, fill in: 3
According to the CUHK Student Handbook, “unless otherwise advised by the course teachers concerned with alternative arrangements, all online classes and online examinations will continue as scheduled under any weather conditions, including when Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal No. 8 or above and/or Black Rainstorm Signal is hoisted“. In this connection, even if the Gale or Storm Signal No. 8 is issued tomorrow and the campus is closed, all of our online classes will still have to go on as scheduled.
– CUHK VPN (e.g. to access CUHK e-Resources, 2FA for CUHK VPN is optional if 2FA is not turned on yet.)
– CUHK SSL VPN (e.g. to access CUHK e-Resources, 2FA must be turned on before making CUHK SSL VPN connection.)
– ExpressVPN (a popular VPN service in mainland China)
– Eduroam Registration (CUHK & other HK edu/Overseas edu Wifi) (login id: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org , eudroam password can be set/reset in Eduroam Registration web page)
– CUHK1x (CUHK Campus only, login id: CUHK email adress, password: CUHK OnePass password) (PaperCut Mobility Printing only works with CUHK1x Wifi. Eduroam not supported for PaperCut Mobility Printing.)
Act together against COVID-19
O365 OneDrive Sharing Files between Staff & Students
As O365 of CUHK Staff & Students are of different “tenants”, CUHK Staff OneDrive files cannot be shared via CUHK Authentication to CUHK Students, and vice versa. CUHK staff O365 OneDrive files can only be shared as “Public” to CUHK Students, and vice versa.
CUHK Staff need to apply another account in “Student Tenant” to share files via CUHK Authentication to CUHK Students.
Making Use of CUWebform and O365 Form for data collection
Please note that Google form cannot be accessed in mainland China. Should you need to collect data from student/staff, you are recommended to use CUWebform or O365 Form.
How to Draw Signature on pdf form
After receiving pdf documents that require your signature from different CUHK units, you may use your mobile phone with WPS PDF Fill & Sign app or Adobe Fill & Sign App to draw signature on the pdf form. Email the “signed” pdf to respective CUHK units for further processing.
VPN (CUHK & non-CUHK)
Please refer to VPN section above.
You may use the following “template” for pre-assigning students in your Zoom Breakout Rooms:
After updating the Excel file, click “Import from CSV” under “Breakout Room Pre-assign”
- For new CUHK Staff & Students, first of all, you should login https://cuhk.zoom.us once. Otherwise, your Zoom account is not available and your class partners cannot add you as “Alternative Hosts” in their Zoom Meeting Room.
- Before starting your Zoom meeting, please make sure to check your internet connection speed with fast.comAccording to report from our staff, video/audio quality is poor when speed is below 15 Mbps. If your home network speed is slow, you may need to find another location or return to office for internet access.
- You are recommended to use Logitech Webcam and Logitech USB mic or Bluetooth mic. USB or Bluetooth mic can be used for both Windows & Mac notebook. USB mic is more flexible as it can be used in Windows Desktop/Notebook & Mac.
- Logitech Webcam usually has built-in mic but the distance is usually limited to less than 1 meter. Voice quality deteriorates significantly when mic distance increases. That is why a separate bluetooth mic is needed for longer distance (> 1 meter ).
- You may have several mic attached to the notebook/computer/mac. You can manually switch the audio input (see the Zoom screen captured below) for different speakers to speak with different mic.
- Please make sure to slide the cover of Logitech webcam to open the camera lens before starting Zoom meeting. After Zoom meeting, please make sure to slide the cover to close the camera lens to protect your privacy. If your Logitech webcam does not have cover to slide, unplug the USB to protect your privacy.
- If you are using 3.5mm microphone, it will be more complicated as Dell computers may show a popup screen after you plug in your 3.5mm microphone:
You will usually find lots of problems with 3.5mm Headset/mic as different brands of computers may have different types of 3.5mm jack (some are of single Android 3.5mm type jack, some are of the old-fashioned two 3.5mm jacks: one audio out and one mic in jack) and different methods of handling how to handle device plug-in 3.5mm jack. Sometimes a popup screen will ask the type of device. Sometimes, the popup screen never shows, probably due to previous checking “don’t ask again” box. Choosing incorrect type of device will make your audio and mic “silent”.
After you launch your Zoom meeting, you are recommended to double check you microphone by choosing the correct “audio device” and clicking “Test Speaker & Microphone”:
You are highly recommended to turn on “Require Authentication (CUHK Authentication)” for your Zoom meeting to reduce chance of Zoom Bombings.
Recommended Minimal Zoom Security Settings (the “Security” button in Zoom meeting) against Zoom Bombings
Click Zoom Security Button during your Zoom meeting (need to do it every time you open the meeting):
Check “Lock Meeting” after all authorized participants already enter the Zoom meeting
Check “Enable Waiting Room” so that those other than CUHK staff & students must wait for your approval before entering the Zoom meeting
Under the heading “Allow participants to”:
- Uncheck “Share Screen” so that participants cannot take control of your Zoom meeting
- Uncheck “Chat“, check only when you want your participants to begin chat/discussion
- Uncheck “Rename Themselves” so that participants cannot impersonate other people
Filling in your real name in your Zoom Profile will simplify class management:
- Zoom License Limitation#1: you can only “Start” one of the Zoom meetings owned by you. “Multi-tasking” of starting more than one Zoom meetings owned by you at the same time is not allowed. You should plan carefully your Zoom timetable to avoid starting more than one Zoom meetings owned/created by you at the same time. Otherwise, one of your two collided Zoom meetings at the same time need to be abolished to let only one Zoom meeting to run.
- Zoom License Limitation#2: you cannot use two computers (e.g. one desktop computer, one Macbook) to join the same Zoom meeting with your Zoom account. But you can login and join the same Zoom meeting with different types of devices (e.g. one desktop computer, one Android phone).
- Zoom License Limitation#3: you normally cannot join as participants in two Zoom meetings owned by different people. Just in case you need to “multitasking” (e.g. you need to support different teachers’ Zoom classes at the same time), please refer to: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360001120743-Joining-multiple-meetings-simultaneously-on-desktop
Recommended Zoom Arrangement:
- Division of Duties: Create Zoom Meeting Room Lecture & Tutorial using Tutor/TA’s own account if teachers do not want to deal with software technical issues. But remember the Zoom license limitation and do not overload one Zoom account with more than one concurrent Zoom meetings at the same time.
- In case of concurrent Zoom meetings at the same time, tutor/TA should ask your Teacher to use his/her own Zoom account to schedule the Zoom meeting.
Consideration for Examination & Accessment:
It is impractical to use Zoom for examination. As it is impossible to prevent cheating, Take-home exam may be a better choice.
Recommended Zoom User Settings (https://cuhk.zoom.us/profile/setting):
- Waiting Room = ON
- Waiting Room Options
Users who are not in your account and not part of your whitelisted domains will go in the waiting room
Host and co-hosts only can admit participants from the waiting room
Only authenticated users can join meetings = ON
Only authenticated users can join meetings from Web client
- Computer Audio
- Host Only
Annotation = ON
- Only the user who is sharing can annotate
Allow removed participants to rejoin = ON
Remote control = OFF
Private chat = OFF
To avoid random CUHK login error (e.g. blank screen after CUHK login or Bad Request – Header Field Too Long HTTP Error 400) , you are recommended to always use your Google Chrome browser’s ” Incognito Window” , by clicking Google Chrome’s upper right “…” button and choose “New incognito window”, and always login Zoom with CUHK Official Zoom Login:
After successful CUHK login, click web page upper right’s “Join a Meeting”
Fill in Meeting ID & Meeting Password to join.
- For Firefox browser, click File – New – “Private Window”, visit https://cuhk.zoom.us to login will work.
- I recommend you to directly visit Blackboard (https://blackboard.cuhk.edu.hk) using Chrome’s Incognito Window mode or Firefox’s Private Window mode.
- Do not use Zoom client to login SSO as it will open Chrome/Firefox browser in “normal mode” and encounter the CUHK login errors “Blank Screen after CUHK login” or “Bad Request – Header Field Too Long HTTP Error 400. A request header field is too long“ again and again.